The Communication Arts Advertising Annual arrived yesterday and I fell upon it eagerly. Here is what I’ve learned:
1. If you want to do award-winning work, move to Singapore.
2. Everywhere but in the US, board games appear to be the most heavily advertised consumer product. That or Legos.
3. Contrary to what your account supervisor told you, 4-color spreads make good sense and are affordable for every client, regardless of budget.
4. A new agency can get into the CA Annual executing the old agency’s campaign (see pages 30 & 66).
5. Procter & Gamble can and will buy great work (Tide to Go, Cascade).
6. They will also buy incomprehensible dreck (Folgers) if you let them.
7. Radio is (and maybe always will be) your best shot at winning.
8. If there are no jobs in Singapore, move to Bangkok.